Pests are a huge nuisance in homes across the Hunter Valley. They can cause structural damage and spoil your day. Newcastle Pest Exterminators deliver a wide range of services to eliminate pests. However, if you’re looking for a natural remedy to manage pests in between professional treatments, there are a range of easy methods to utilise.
Natural pest control is the use of non-toxic materials as an alternative method of controlling pests in homes. Pests are repelled by these materials and will avoid them. Homemade remedies can be used to keep away pests whilst you determine which kind of infestation you have and prepare a plan of action. The best part about these techniques is that they don’t require much effort.
Unfortunately, they are not a long term solution and are not as effective as professional treatments.
Here are some great ways to keep pests at bay while you wait for your next Newcastle Pest Exterminators appointment:
Natural Way to Get Rid of Ants
- Peppermint oil is safe for humans and animals alike and has been shown to repel ants from plants effectively.
- Cinnamon is another natural way of keeping insects away. Cinnamon repels spiders and ants successfully.
- Cut lemon slices into quarters, or utilise leftover lemon peels, and place them in areas prone to ants. Ants do not like the smell of citric acid and sour substances.
Natural Repellent for Caterpillars
- Garlic/chilli-based spray is effective for insects such as aphids and caterpillars. Mix crushed garlic and chilli with just a tablespoon of vegetable oil. This pest deterrent mixture can be easily kept in a jar overnight before being used on plants or released directly onto them at any time.
- Caterpillars can’t stand basil leaves or bay leaves, so make a spray of chopped bay leaves and water to help fight them off.
- Another solution is to mix molasses with some water and pour it around your plants.
Natural Slug and Snail Repellent
- Combine one teaspoon of espresso with half a cup of water and spray on any parts in your garden where you’ve seen slugs and snails.
- You can also use eggshells as a slug and snail repellent. These pests don’t like crawling across sharp pieces of eggshells because it cuts their “foot” or slime trail. Place crushed up eggshells around plants.
Natural Mice Repellent
- Place bay leaves around doorways where mice tend to roam. Mice have a powerful sense of smell, and bay leaves can be overpowering to their little noses.
- You can also use crushed garlic, pepper and chilli powder. Mice will not like the smell of these ingredients, and they’ll look elsewhere for their next meal.
Natural Spider Repellent
- Sprinkle cayenne pepper near doors where spiders might enter from outside. Not only does this keep spiders at bay, but with the prickly bits of cayenne pepper sticking to their bodies, it will discourage them from ever returning again.
- Spiders also detest citrus scents, so rub or leave citrus peels on your windows, skirting boards, and other areas you frequently see spiders.
Natural Mosquito Deterrent
- Spraying eucalyptus oil around your home is an excellent way of deterring mosquitos.
- Mosquitos are also repelled by garlic. Crush up some garlic and combine with water for an easy to use spray that keeps the bugs away.
Why Natural Pest Control Doesn’t Work
While natural pest controls can be a quick solution, they are not as effective as professional pest management. Newcastle and the Hunter Valley area is surrounded by bushland and wetlands, which are home to thousands of species of different pests and insects. These pests can bring in bacteria or allergens from the outside, which can cause a variety of health issues. These pesky critters can invade your home and cause irreparable damage before you’ve had a chance to notice they’ve moved in.
Insects and rodents are smart, and can often find paths around your homemade remedies. That is why it is absolutely essential to hire a skilled professional to handle your pest removal.
The team at Newcastle Pest Exterminators has years of experience and knowledge when it comes to protecting your home. Our team knows how to locate an infestation and directly target the source of the problem, ensuring that those pests do not return. We utilise non-toxic methods and specialised products with precise measurements. This ensures that our team eliminates the pests without spreading unnecessary chemicals around your home. All of our products are safe for your home, children and pets.
Don’t waste your time trying do-it-yourself solutions and allowing the problem to escalate. Contact the team at Newcastle Pest Exterminators today. We provide a range of pest control and extermination services across the Hunter Valley. Our services are very effective and affordable.